Spark plug question ...

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Spark plug question ...
From: "Erlandson, Paul (P.W.)" <perlands@ford.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 10:29:06 -0400
Really stupid question ...

I changed the spark plugs in my '63 Buick 215 motor last
evening.  The old plugs were Champion RL87YC, so that's
what I bought to put in.

Only problem was, two of the old spark plugs came out, apparently
fused to a threaded insert that goes into the cylinder head?

When I first pulled out the plug with the larger diameter threads,
I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me, and that I had two
different kinds of plugs in the motor.

Are there supposed to be inserts in these heads, or was that
something probably done when the motor was rebuilt, to repair
old stripped threads in the Aluminum heads?

And, now that the insert is not with the block, do I need to
put a new one in?

Confused in Michigan,
Paul Erlandson