Need piston help

To: <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Need piston help
From: "Michael Hartwig" <mhartwig@midsouth.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 22:16:33 -0600
Some one the MG V8 list suggested I post here, so here goes

Anybody have specs for Rover pistons?  I'd like to have the compression height
and dish cc.

Now the whole story.  88 RR engine.  I had initialy bought Keith Black
Silvolite pistons (at least I think they are).  When it can time to calculate
the compression ratio.  I came up with 7.775.  Ugh, I know.   I asked for
pistons for a buick at the engine parts warehouse.

Here are my numbers.
Piston dish: 14cc
Combustion chamber: 34cc
Headgasket.  .045"  (Felpro composite)
Deck height   .067"

My brother says that deck height is no good and that I need to get it lower.

So what happened.  Did I somehow get 8.13CR Rover pistions, then with the
thicker felpro gasket it took me down to 7.775?  I thought Buicks only came
with 8.8 and 10.5 CR.  Do the buick heads have a different volume?

Assuming all my measurements are right, what next.  Should I get some rover
pistons?
What CR should I go for?  9.35, 9.75?  I'd prefer to run 87 octane.

Who has the best prices?  Rimmerbros has a set of 9.75 for $288 with rings and
pins.  RPI $256 with rings only.  I wouldn't need the rings, as I have a nice
set of Moly rings already.  Any good sources in the states?

Mike