Buick 300 heads on Olds 215 block

To: buick-rover-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Buick 300 heads on Olds 215 block
From: Bill Zenkus <mgb_zenkus@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 10:11:51 -0800 (PST)
I finally completed my car this year. '74 mgb with '64 Buick 300 heads  on '63
Olds 215 block (.004 over bored) with '64 300 Buick crank, stock 215 rods and
Chevy 2.8 pistions.

I believe this is similar to Wil Bridges set up...

Broke it in, drove for about 80 miles and sadly have a blown head gasket.
 Removal of the heads show black traces (oil?) from the top head bolt holes to
the cylinders.
 Gasket was blown between cylinders 3 and 5 (Seemed to follow the black trace)

Also had black sludge deposits on the pistons (3 & 5 were the worse). Yes it
was puffing blue smoke time to time (thought that might be the rings breaking
in) and the exhaust is jet black.
(Rich I believe due to Holley 390 being dried out as I rebuilt it a few years
back then stored it)

Questions to the group:
Should a sealent be used on the head bolts for the Olds block and if so what
type?
I used the Olds 215 head gaskets, should I have used the Buick 300 head gaskets?
If yes for the 300 head gaskets, how do you cover the gap at the top corners of
the head to block at the intake galley point?
I put the Head gaskets on dry. Should I have put a sealent on these?
(1963 MOTORS manual indicates there should be a sealent on all of the head
bolts and the head gasket - but not what type)

I am trying to figure what I did incorrectly so when I put it back together it
will be right and I could enjoy driving it. Any help, recommendations, comments
and even questions would be appreciated.

Thanks to all

Bill Zenkus (MGBZ)