OROC, May 2, Beaver Creek

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: OROC, May 2, Beaver Creek
From: "Paul" <9laser3@bright.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 1999 19:51:12 -0700
Hello everybody,

  Today Kathy and I drove down to Beaver Creek State Park and drove a
variety of roads between Rogers, Calcutta, and East Liverpool, with a few
side trips through Sprucevale and Fredericktown, and even a quick down hill
run on Calcutta-Smith Ferry Road into Pennsylvania!  I would love to tell
you how much fun it was to drive the curves and hills in a Datsun Roadster
but it is still awaiting final repairs.  The scenery was great, even in the
rain, but the ride in a Mazda Protege was uninspiring.  I can't wait for May
2nd to come around so we can return in the 1600.  And for Gary & Linda:
don't worry, I have a bunch of new roads to travel this year.
  I have park brochures to mail to Chris and Diane.  The brochures map the
park and tell of its history.  There is a small collection of historic
buildings at the picnic area and a grist mill and a canal lock.  The creek
offers some good smallmouth bass fishing lower down with a few pools within
walking distance of the picnic are.   You can read more about the park and
the surrounding area at
<http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/odnr/parks/directory/beaverck.html> .
   I still need to lay out the different routes that will loop back to the
picnic grounds; ranging from a quick trip around the block to a 25 loop down
to the mouth of Beaver Creek at the Ohio River!  The multiple short loops
ensure we return to the grill for another burger and a cool drink
frequently.  I'll have maps of the area with the loops color coded.   It
should be a great day of driving providing every one follows rule #1, Do NOT
hit the car in front of you, especially if I'm leading!!  ( Honk, I'll get
out of your way if I'm driving too slow for you! )
  So pack up the significant other(s), a basket of picnic food, and make
sure the tank on the your roadster gets filled up.  Remember, your gas
mileage may suffer a bit while winding out in 2nd and 3rd gears through the
hills!!  Anybody coming in Saturday night and looking for a place to stay,
the park offers camping and there is a brand new Days Inn just north on
route 11 at Lisbon.  If any one wants to take the complete international
tour, along with Liverpool, Calcutta, and Lisbon, we could take a quick run
to Paris but Mantua and Rome would require a couple of hours drive!
  Any questions, just ask me.  I'll see what kind of an answer I can come up
with!  Hope to see a good OROC turn out and maybe a few of the PA members.
Its only 60 miles from Pittsburgh and a short 140 miles from Erie ( How
about it, Steve, Jeff & Teddy? )

Paul
OROC