Re: Temperature Gauge & Gas Overflow

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Temperature Gauge & Gas Overflow
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 10:16:36 -0700
Hi Chris,

It sounds like your fuel pressure is overwhelming the ability of your
carb's float chamber to shut off the fuel flow. As the fuel bowl fills, a
float rises and presses against a float lever. This lever presses a spring
loaded needle valve that is tapered to a point, into the fuel inlet. If the
incoming fuel pressure is too high, it overcomes the ability of the float
bouyancy to exert enough pressure on the needle valve to stop the flow. The
excess fuel will then spill out the top.

Why one carb and not both? Perhaps the float lever of one carb is
misadjusted, allowing one carb to exert more pressure to close off the
flow. Or perhaps the rear carb float has a pinhole leak so it has reduced
bouyancy. Or the needle valve has some grit or gunk obstructing it from
closing completely, the flow being just what the engine wants at idle
unless you set the fuel regulator setting too high.

The only way to tell, is to open up the fuel bowls (4 screws on top). Be
ready with new gaskets, as the old ones may get torn up when you remove the
cover. Carefully grasp the float from both sides and ease it up and out.
Wipe it and shake it near your ear to listen to see if it has a leak and
took on fuel. Check the float lever for the proper setting. You should turn
the lid over, and use a ruler to set the appropriate clearance of about
9/16 inch from where the float contacts the lever to the lid.

Checking the needle valve is a bit more complex, and is best done by taking
the fuel bowl lid inside to a desktop. That way, if the retaining clip,
spring, or needle pops off you'll have a better chance of finding them! I
keep extras on hand, just in case I lose one. If you don't have extras, be
careful!

Good luck,
Fred - So.SF
BADROC