Temperature Gauge & Gas Overflow

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Temperature Gauge & Gas Overflow
From: "Chris Brucciani" <Chris_Brucciani@mminet.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 09:26:58 -0400

It was in the 80?s <G> this weekend here in Atlanta and while out running
around in my 68 2000, I was watching the temp gauge and noticed that it
fluctuated between 3/4 and 7/8 of the way up the temp gauge. (I don?t
recall the degree figures).  Is this normal, or am I running hot?  Driving
was variable stop and go with some short stretches in between.

On a different note, I notice that gas sometimes runs out of the overflow
tube of the carburetor closest to the firewall.  I have an electric fuel
pump installed by the PO, so I do not know the output pressure.  I have one
of those glass fuel filters with a removable cartridge, and have installed
a fuel pressure regulator.  I checked the float to see if it was leaking,
and it is fine.  I started the car and let it idle for a minute, and then
gas started POURING out of the overflow!  I shut it down, notched the
pressure regulator back to a ?2? setting, and it seems fine.  Something
here is fishy.  Any ideas?  Is there a problem using this kind of filter or
regulator setup?  P.S. - Fuel Priced here are $1.14 for 93 Octane, and less
than a buck for regular.  Sounds good compared to out West!

Lastly, another endorsement for Redline MTL in the tranny.  Great Stuff!!
Much smoother shifting and a lot less crunching!  However, it does magnify
any small leaks you may have.  Thanks to all who post to the list, your
help is much appreciated.