Horns, turn signals, misc ramblings

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Horns, turn signals, misc ramblings
From: HIGHKIX4@aol.com
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 22:45:23 EDT
Hello to all,
Cut out of work early and worked on the project, and what a great day, 78F.

Got a horn question on my 67 flat dash:
Took off the horn button, the metal ring and 3 insulated screws under
that, and pulled the steering wheel.  I understand the concept of how
the horn is supposed to work, with the copper button making contact with
the slip ring under the wheel.  and there is a post from that ring going up to
the area by the horn button assembly, but what the heck is supposed to
be there.  I'm missing some sort of small part here I think.  I.E. what does
the horn button touch to make the horn blow?

I also took apart the turn signal and high beam guts under the wheel, as
they were all gummy feeling, and the high beams didnt work when I drove
the car.  First piece of advice, dont do this unless you have to.  There are
three springs under there that will jump out.  I know this to be true, the
hard way.  In any event, I cleaned out 32 years of gunk with gasoline and
a toothbrush, then lubed with several drops of 10 weight oil, and repared the
tiny spring, which had a broken end, with a pair of hemostats.  I then
studied my "spare" springs for some time until I figured out how to
put this thing back together.  Second piece of advice, the spring under
the U-shaped copper contacter will stay put real nice for reassembly
if you glue it in place with a drop of super glue, and if you glue the big
spring in place between its aluminum posts reassembly becomes easy.
(Glue it just in the middle, so it can still do its spring thing on both
ends.)
....As long as you remove the copper tang from the high beam switch so
it dosnt get bent to hell on reassembly.  Put this in last.  I bent a
very small phillips with the heat wrench 90 degrees to make a specal tool
to do this, otherwise you dont have enough clearance. Look and be sure its
touching its copper rub strip with the high beams on, and not touching
with low beams on.
Hooked up some temporary 12 v power, and everything on the column
works now!  Hope the above helps someone out there.

For Nick, with the bumper and other parts, I left a message on your
answering machine, sell your stuff if you have other buyers,, I think I
can get my parts closer, there are some in Virginia, and I got plenty to
do before I need the parts.  On the other hand, I have a friend whos
driving down from NY in June, so if you still have spares then, let
me know, and maybe he can stop by and snatch them enroute.

For all:   gas here in Chesapeake is 99.9 for regular, at the Navy base,
and 104.9 in town, more or less.  It was as low as 79.9 just a month
or so ago.

Speaking of gas.  When I get the roadster on the road, should I put some
lead substitute in the tank to keep the valves lubed up?  Or will these
things run OK on no-lead premium?  I found a six pack of lead substitute
in the trunk of my project car, so was wondering about this.

Thanks!
Jim
67 1600
Chesapeake Va