Re: wits end!

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: wits end!
From: JeffnAly@aol.com
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 04:13:37 EDT
Paul,
I had a similar problem with my 2000 with solex.  I was adjusting valves,
timing, and checking for manifold vacuum leaks but my car was running worse
and worse.  I pulled off the carbs and discovered the one of my carb's
butterfly valves was not closing all the way.  This was fixed by re-centering
the butterfly valve.  After much help from Dan Garrison the carbs were in
balance as good as they were going to get.  Then we looked at the plugs.  I
had the factory point system at the time and I was running resistor plugs.
Non-resistor is better in this case.  We changed to NGK BP5ES and things
started to improuve.  But, I still had a pesky cough at 2300 RPM and idle was
very rough and not so great acceleration.  Then we looked at the distributor.
 It turned out the centripetal advancing weights were near frozen up.  After
unsticking the advancing weights the car ran even better.  Then, I put a new
set of wires on it, and it ran even better.  But there was still some
hesitation when cruising at in the 2000 to 2500 RPM range.  Next, I got the
MSD 6A ignition, a new distributor, and set the plugs to .040.

Problem solved, and my wallet is thinner.

For my two cents check the timing, plugs, points, and go from there if you
are sure the carbs are in balance.

Jeff SRL 486