Re: oily coil and ATF in damper

To: pshirley <pshirley@micron.net>, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: oily coil and ATF in damper
From: Kyle Hagemann <kyle@sonic.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 08:04:55 -0700
At 08:57 PM 4/8/99 -0700, we got some some E-mail from pshirley.
>A few questions.
>
>I noticed that my coil has oil seeping from the it.  What would cause
>this and is it a sign that it needs to be replaced?  If so, what kind of
>aftermarket coil should I get for added performance.  I'm running the
>Pertronics(spelling ?) electronic ignition with the stock ballistor
>resistor.

You can check the coil's resistance to be certain, the specs vary but
should be listed in your manual.  Boiling coil oil is a sure sign of
breakdown; it might be due to a bad ballast resistor - that can send the
full 12V to the coil, which will cooks it in short order.

>I read a clip on a Z internet site, talking about SU carbs, that you can
>use automatic transmisson fluid in the SU oil dampners.  Its supposed to
>give you quicker throttle response.  Has anyone tried it?

Hehe, I have!  I've got a pretty good writeup on SU carbs at
http://www.sonic.net/~kyle/ztech.html - I swear by ATF for performance
applications.  It makes the car a bit jumpier, but it's worth it for the
improved response.  One word of caution - if your carbs are worn, with
leaky throttle shafts, the ATF may be too thin to properly control the
dampers at idle.  Just try it!  It's practically free, and easy to do....

     ____  Kyle Hagemann, Born-Again Grease Monkey From Beyond
 _.;(____\____    72 240Z, L28, 5spd, poly, etc. - The Z-Beast
|  _ |   |  _'@`, 69 2000, U20, goes like stink - no name yet!
`-(@)------(@)-;  84 Maxima, 280ZX in sedan disguise - Mr. Max