Re: Fuel Pump Pressure

To: "Rick Stayner" <Xcokid@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: Fuel Pump Pressure
From: Ronnie Day <rday@airmail.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 20:32:49 -0500
>What effect does fuel pump pressure have on performance? I just checked mine
>with a brand new Sears gauge. It's reading 2.5 psi. The only spec i could
>find in my manuals was that the pressure should be between 3.4 and 4.3. Is
>this correct?
>I am currently running an electric fuel pump that is mounted back at the gas
>tank.
>Any input and like experiences would be helpful.
>Thanks.

Rick,

2.5 is considered about optimum for SU's, provided that you're getting
the volume the carbs need, and that sounds like what's happening. Too
much pressure tends to force gas past the needle/seat in the float bowl.
Does the car run okay at idle? Can you hold it around 6K in third for
awhile and not run out of gas?

The best check would be if you can safely have the gauge hooked up and
reading while you drive the car. You DO NOT want to run a line with
gasoline into the inside though. I've often seen fuel pressure gauges
mounted in front of the driver in front of the windshield on drag cars.
It might be worth renting an hour on a chassis dyno, if there's one
available near you or you might get a club or just a group together and
reduce the cost further.

I think Autometer makes an isolated mechanical fuel pressure gauge that
can be dash mounted. You attach a line to the remote mechanism in the
engine compartment. There's liquid (nonflammable of course) filling the
tube between the sender and the gauge, so pressure on the sender end
reads on the gauge.

FWIW, Ron

Ronnie Day
rday@airmail.net
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared class autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)