cast iron vs aluminum head

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: cast iron vs aluminum head
From: "Ian Miller" <ianmiller9@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 05:53:30 PDT
First of all the reason I tore my motor apart was it was only running
on 3 cylinders.  I figured out why fast enough.  Once the head was
removed I saw one of the valves wasn't closing.  One of the retaining
bolts on the airfilter back plate had fallen out and been sucked
inside my motor and was holding the spring open.  The good news is I
can't see any where that the piston was touching the valve.  So my
first question is should I pull the valve springs and check for wear
on the valve stem?  Then what constitiutes a "valve job" and how do I
do it?  Where can I get the proper valve seals?  Secondly on my motor
I have a cast iron head (66), but on the spare motor I have (67)I have
a aluminum head.  Is this normal?  should I switch heads?

Thanks Ian Miller