Solvang and Motorsports continued

To: ericarm@cal.alumni.berkeley.edu, shifty@well.com, kigoe@lkeeco.com,
Subject: Solvang and Motorsports continued
From: CalSpeed@aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 21:19:37 EDT
Well, after Fred, Eric and I checked into the local B.W. we were met by Joe
Roach and Paul Gabriel form SoCal.  After some hellos Fred and I went outside
in the dark to wash off the bugs we accumulated on the front end of our
Roadsters during the drive.

The next morning I woke up to the sounds of Paul's U20 Solex machine revving
up.  I was outside after that talking Roadsters with Fred as Joe and Paul
washed their rides.  We headed out for a quick breakfast of coffee and
pastries.  Solvang is a Dutch athmosphere community and is famous for the
wonderful pastries.  Well we did one better that weekend and had pastries in
the warm morning sun outside as we watched roadster after roadster rumble by
the main street.  It was wonderful.  We grouped and headed to the park where
we were to meet and show our Roadsters.  We arrived to see Les Cannaday hard
at work trying to keep things under control.  He did keep things running
smooth like he always does.

The cars were wonderful.  From the perfect 67.5 SRL stock restoration of Dave
and Phylis Almazan to the wild rides of the '66 FJ20's of Ron Hamilton.  And
of course, all the others in between.  I believe that there were almost 50
Roadsters present.  There was even the CDM restoration of a Bob Bondurant
Daytona Z Pace car.  The afternoon fun run took place with over 30 roadsters.
 We drove via Les's driving instructions through the mountians and ended up
at the beach for a great photo session.  We then drove back to the show where
the BBQ lunch was great and the awards followed after that.

The party broke up shortly after that and pretty soon it was just Fred,
Leigh, Joe, Paul, Les and myself.  We talked abit and we all parted soon
after.  Fred and I then gathered our sanity as we headed to the next Datsun
Event, Motorsports Z show in Orange, California.  We checked into a Ramada
near Disneyland and rested up for the next days show which promised to have
several hundred cars present.

The next morning we packed up got our free breakfast and headed to the show.
We were led to a special Roadster / 510 section.  It was fantastic!  Our two
Roadsters were a hit.  Lots of attention and admirers.  Joe Road and Paul
Gabriel soon arrived and then the real attention started.  Everyone wanted
pics of our cars.

Les Cannaday and Marc Sayer of ZCCD was there with a booth.  They had lots of
great stuff to buy as well as oll of the back issues of Z-Car Magazine and
the new Z Car and Classic Datsun Magazine.  There were over a dozen other
vendors present too.

Fred and I took off at around 2:30 as we still had over seven hours of
driving to do.  Our Roadsters performed flawlessly.  Driving at an average of
around 75-80 the whole way on the interstate.  A few stops along the way at
the for gas and burgers.  We arrived back in San Francisco at around 10:30.

Special thanks to Les Cannaday of Classic Datsun Motorsports for a great
Solvang Weekend.  But it is important to advise everyone that this will be
the last CDM / Solvang weekend.  Les will be passing the the roll over to
someone else.  More on that later.  But, none-the-less thanks Les for all of
the Solvang years.  They were great!  You are a one of a kind roadster guy!

Michael "Calspeed" Carion
67.5 SRL311-000248 Solex
San Francisco, Ca