Solvang and Motorsports

To: ericarm@cal.alumni.berkeley.edu, shifty@well.com, kigoe@lkeeco.com,
Subject: Solvang and Motorsports
From: CalSpeed@aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 20:38:36 EDT
Hey folks!

Wasn't that just an awesome weekend!  I think that this was probably my best
Roadster Weekend that I have ever had.  For some reason it just beats out all
of the previous Shastas and Solvangs.  I guess that it has to do with the
fact that I was in great BADROC company.  We have a great group of members
and it seems that it can only get better.  Congratulations to all of us!

The drive to Solvang was great thanks to Ken's suggestion to take Hwy 25
South to connect with Hwy 101.  Lots of twists and many turns.  Perfect to
test out my BFG R1's.  BTW... they stuck great!  Then came the second
surprise of the weekend.

During our lunch break in some small strange town we ate at a small Pizza Bar
Deli off on the side of Hwy 101.  A loud hot rodded silver 50's model truck,
(looks like an early Suburban type vehicle) painted in silver with chrome
"Medic" style crosses on the side and sirens mounted on the roof pulled up
and revved its engine.  A voice called out from the van, "Those your
Roadsters?"  We looked up and said that they were ours.  We were then told
that he had six Roadsters sitting on his lot and boxes and boxes of pieces
and parts to sell.  He lived just up a dirt road off of the main road going
into the hills.  We told him we would come over after our lunch.  Maybe
around half an hour or so.

While we ate our lunch we played with the idea of heading up to this guys
place or not.  Well, it was agreed that we should check it out.  This could
be one of those great Roadster finds!  Well, we found the dirt road and drove
up to find a beautiful house sitting on acres and acres of open land.  There
were hot roads in every garage and another shed with tons of Roadster parts.
On the side of the house was four Roadsters waiting to be picked apart and
another one of two inside of the garage.  Wow!  This guy is for real.  He
invited us to wander around and take what ever we wanted.

Just like checking the temperature of the swimming pool with our toes, we
pointed out parts or raised the treasures in our hands and asked, "How much?"
 The prices seemed to be more than cheap so we became more enthusiastic in
our search.  It seems that most of the hard to find parts were not there.
Hmmmm?  We were not the first ones there.  Anyway, we all found small things
that we could use.  I think that Eric Armstrong was the happiest with his
finds of interior parts.  I think he spent less that five dollars!  I dont
know what everyone bought but I know that Fred Katz walked away with a nice
plastic bag heavy with chrome pieces and odds and ends.  I too got alot of
neat stuff.  Spent less than 20 bucks for a bunch of stuff plus a 67.5 split
guage included.  BTW... anyone need a 67.5 dash?  ;>)

After about an hour of picking and scrounging we headed back to Hwy 101 South
to continue to our Solvang destination.  The road was long and straight but
lots of fun with us BADROC'rs changing positions and photographing each other
at speed.  Soon enough we found ourselves at our destination.  We stopped at
Buellton, a sister city to Solvang.  Half of our caravan stayed there.  Here
we had our first breakdown.  Leigh Brooks 1500 wouldn't start.  After alittle
playing around with the carbs Fred and I got it started and Leigh drove off
to his motel.  Fred Katz, Eric Armstrong and myself continued to Solvang for
the night.

...<cont>

Michael "Calspeed" Carion
67.5 SRL311-000248 Solex