Re: New Trans? I doubt it.

To: Kyle Hagemann <kyle@sonic.net>, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New Trans? I doubt it.
From: Taylor Hutt <t.hutt@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 18:55:56 -0700
Kyle Hagemann wrote:

> >for what it's worth, the shifter boot is not part of the transmission,
>
> True, but that's like saying a CV boot isn't part of the CV joint - if you
> paid to have a new CV joint put it, you'd expect a new CV boot to keep
> things clean...  but that's just details, I can fix that when I design my
> supercool center console;-)

In general I'd agree, but the shifter boot on this car goes with the center
console more than it does the trans.  My rebuilt 5-speed didn't come with a
shift boot either, but I shoulda got a wash and a wax for the price it cost
me!

> > and rebuilt boxes tend to be very tight.
>
> True, again; however, 3-4-5 feels really nice, first is notchy as heck, and
> second, man, it's like there's no synchro.

My rebuilt 5-speed, which came with a 1-year warranty is 'tight', but not at
all
notchy like you describe.  The guy I got my trans from in Seaside, and Dean (I

think), both say  it's not a good idea to downshift these critters into first
unless you
are pretty much at a dead stop.

So, I'd complain about the shifting if it doesn't work: tight but smooth.