Re: New Trans? I doubt it.

To: MMJB28A@prodigy.com ( CRAIG HALSTED), datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New Trans? I doubt it.
From: Kyle Hagemann <kyle@sonic.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 12:20:00 -0700
At 02:02 PM 4/30/99 -0500, we got some some E-mail from CRAIG   HALSTED.
>Kyle-
>
>for what it's worth, the shifter boot is not part of the transmission,

True, but that's like saying a CV boot isn't part of the CV joint - if you
paid to have a new CV joint put it, you'd expect a new CV boot to keep
things clean...  but that's just details, I can fix that when I design my
supercool center console;-)

> and rebuilt boxes tend to be very tight.

True, again; however, 3-4-5 feels really nice, first is notchy as heck, and
second, man, it's like there's no synchro.

>you are, in essence, slamming Mike to the list members,

Yikes, not my intention - I like Mike quite a lot, and trust him
implicitly.  I've bought a round or two of parts from him, getting a good
deal and a lot of free information.  On top of that, I bought my car from
him.  Please, don't anyone take this as a slam, I was just trying to give
the whole story.

>and if after seeing him tomorrow
>you still had concerns about the box, it would have been appropriate
>to pose the question to the list without mentioning Mike before
>treating him this way.

Whoa, whoa, whoa - I was asking beforehand so that I had some background.
If I had heard from everyone, yeah, that's how new trannies feel, don't
sweat it, I'd believe Mike if I heard that from him.  If, OTOH, I got a
stream of replies saying that there's something seriously amiss, and Mike
tried to play it off as normal, I'd be a little more hesitant before taking
his word.  Seriously, though, no slams intended.

>did you check your tranny fluid while looking at the shifter boot

Nope, shouldn't have to, IMHO, with a new transmission with less than 200
miles on it.

>or drain and fill it with Red Line?

>From what I've heard, not supposed to use Red Line in new boxes, as the
synchros do not wear in properly.  Plus, if I have a concern with a trans,
I'm not going to start messing around with it if I plan on contacting the
seller/servicer for assistance:

"Hey, I got a problem with this trans."
"Oh yeah?"
"Yeah."
"Well, what have you done to it?"
"Well, drained the fluid and put in different stuff."
"Cripes man, what did you expect?"

Kyle
     ____  Kyle Hagemann, Born-Again Grease Monkey From Beyond
 _.;(____\____    72 240Z, L28, 5spd, poly, etc. - The Z-Beast