Re: Alternator upgrade '67 1600

To: datsun-roadsters-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Alternator upgrade '67 1600
From: Mark van der Hoek <captainhoek@postmark.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2000 18:51:15 +0000
MMccaf8697@aol.com wrote:

> In addition to my earlier post concerning trouble with a battery (relocated

> to trunk) ground, I am considering upgrading to an alternative alternator,
> preferably internally regulated.

FWIW, Mark, I'm a major un-fan of internally regulated alts.  The
reason is noise.  It's very hard to cure alternator whine with an
internally regulated alternator.  Having the voltage regulation
external gives you more options for effectively killing alt whine.
Way back when I was intalling phones & radios for a living I remember
seeing a kit for curing alternator whine on GM vehicles that sold for
over $100.  Don't know if it worked.  But if folks were willing to
spend that kind of money, you know it wasn't because the problem was
simple.

But then, I like to tinker.

Mark van der Hoek
Houston