Re: Roadster Down - Head Gasket Replacement

To: "Ron & Julie Edgar" <rvedgar@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Roadster Down - Head Gasket Replacement
From: Mark van der Hoek <captainhoek@postmark.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2000 19:07:04 +0000

Ron & Julie Edgar wrote:

>  <It seems the water was being injected into the cyl  and improving high
end
> <performance by upping compression???

Water injection is a very good way to improve performance of any
internal combustion engine, and jets, too.  Nothing new about it - my
Dad worked with water injection during WWII.  (Yes, diesels and jets.
The Boeing 747 SP used water injection on take-off.  Like an
afterburner, but environmentally friendly and cheaper.  Boosted thrust
from 40,000 lbs to 50,000.)

The water gets steamed when it hits the combustion, and the steam ups
compression AND cleans your engine at the same time, plus it inhibits
pre-ignition so you can use higher compression.  It's all good for
your engine - no downside. The downside is getting the water into the
combustion chambers.  Uh, your method is NOT recommended! I have seen
cheap kits that connect to intake vacuum to pull the water in, but
these draw the least water when you need it most - full throttle.
Edelbrock used to make an injection system that was pressurised.

I've often thought aout using one of those on a roadster with the
Solex intake.  THere are ports on the top of each intake tube which
probably belong to the smog system, but could be used to inject water
mist into the air intake.

Someday...

Mark van der Hoek
Houston