Re: How Heavy?

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: How Heavy?
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 00 09:49:58 CST
On the Head Gaskets:

The "newest" U20 gaskets I have bought from the dealer come
with a sealant bead around the oil passage, and the front of
the gaskets (for the timing chain cover). I install them
AS IS! There is a coating already on the head gasket (graphite?),
and works just fine.

On the older gaskets they had a plain surface, and I always
used Kopper-Koat with great success. At least most folks
comment it is the first time they have seen a U20 without
the rear oil seepage!

If your engine is already seeping oil around the rear of the
block, not much you can do to prevent that unless you pull
the head, check for flatness of the head and block, and install
a new head gasket. Of course keeping a rag handy to wipe off
that area to keep it clean helps!

Cheers,

Tom Walter '67 2000
Austin, TX '68 2000