Re: eBay 1600

To: "Mark Dent" <stickerman@home.com>,
Subject: Re: eBay 1600
From: "Graham Evans" <evansg@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 19:26:57 -0500
The problem with eBay is it is too easy to get a registered id.  Anyone can
go to Hotmail, Altavista or any of the countless freemail sites and
establish an email account in about 15 seconds.  You can go to hotmail or
whatever, establish 50 different email names, then go to eBay and register
each of those 50 email addresses as an eBay account.  Then all you have to
do is use each of them to submit positive feedback to each of the others to
create 50 ids with good profiles.  Then you can bid on your own auction
items with a different id to drive the price up.  It is entirely possible
the guy is bidding on his own stuff.  When it gets close to close of his
auction, if he is high bidder he just retracts his bid and lets it go to the
next highest bidder.  He can also use this to establish a minimum bid
without paying the extra fee to eBay.  All sorts of scams and angles are
possible.  Bottom line is be careful.

Graham
1968 1600