Re: Manifold Vacuum

To: <NRUFFCORN@prodigy.net>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Manifold Vacuum
From: "sbutner" <sbutner@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 20:23:30 -0800
Nathan,
this sounds alot like the problem I had with My 1600 carbs.  I couldn't get
the idle below about 1200 RPM except when I pushed on the linkage.  (As with
yours, my throttle Cable also had plenty of slack).  My problem turned out
to be with the front carb throttle plate hanging up on the side of the carb
body.  The throttle plate was not completely closing- or bottoming out on
the set screws. As you described, I could not feel any perceptable movement
in the throttle when I pushed on them, but the engine idle would imeadiately
plunge when I put any pressure on the throttle linkage.  I believe the cause
was do to wear to the throttle plate near the shaft.  I happened to have a
spare set of carb bodies, when I swaped the front carb with my spare, the
problem went away.  If you don't have a spare carb base try removing it and
buffing the carb body near the shaft. This should lessen the friction
between the throttle plate and the carb body when the plate is closing.  You
could also try stronger return springs, but I don't think this a
particularly good solution.