Steering Wheels, Electric Fans and such!

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Steering Wheels, Electric Fans and such!
From: "Ron & Julie Edgar" <rvedgar@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 23:16:46 -0500
Just wanted to add some info on two subjects that have been discussed in the
last few days.

***Steering wheel conversions.    My records show I used a Grant Kit # 3592.
I believe it was listed for a Z car.   It worked very well on my 68 1600.
I was able to make the turn signal return
work by epoxy gluing some round alum. dowel pins into existing holes in the
back.   Had to play around with the pin length until I got it right.

***Electric Fan conversion.  I used a Dayco #22611,  14" fan from  PepBoys.
Rated a 1176 CFM it does a great job.   I mounted it on the rear side so I
did have to move the radiator forward approx 1" and also drop it about 1/2"
to clear the hood.I used 3/16"  Aluminum plate to make adapters to bolt the
fan to the Radiator.   DO NOT use the mounts supplied with the fan they are
junk.

One engineering problem you should be aware of is how much electricity the
fan will use. My fan draws 11.97amps my lights 20amps.  My alternator only
puts out 30!   Presently if I drive long at night I start to run the battery
down.   It hasn't happened but this could leave me stranded.  Upgrade your
alternator if you do a fan conversion. I also suggest a light on the dash
that lets you know the fan is on.  I bought the optional thermostate and its
set to come on at 180 deg. I placed a manual switch and light under the
dash.   Problem with my set up is I must remember to energize the system
after I start the car.  If I forget it overheats this could be one reason I
just had to replace the head gasket.  It is better to have the fan energize
with the key switch.  I will be re-wiring mine when I switch to the larger
alternator.

Hope all this helps.

I will try to put some  photos on the web site this week end.
Or you can e-mail me and I will send some to you.
 Let me know what you want to see.

Ron Edgar
Ft Lauderdale Fla.

68 1600 SPL-311