Re: Distributor

To: Gary McCormick <svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com>
Subject: Re: Distributor
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 11:13:53 -0600
> Wasn't '68 when seatbelts became required equipment also? I don't remember
>exactly (though
> I'm old enough) because my Dad, who was a  CHP officer, had seatbelts in our
>cars before
> the law required them (and by that time our family car was a retired CHP
>cruiser anyway).
> BTW, the double locking hood is unnecessary on the Roadster, or any car with a
> front-hinged hood. Typical bureaucratic short-sightedness: "Require it on all
>of 'em.
> Don't confuse me with technical details!"
>
> Gary McCormick
> San Jose CA
> '70 2000 SRL311-13291
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Michael Landskroner wrote:
>
> > 67 and below.
> >
> > In 68 extensive legislation changed every auto on the road, and that is
> > why Datsun went from the design of the early models to the late models.
> >
> > Some of the changes required included:
> > 1.      extensive emmissions equipment
> > 2.      Height of windshield requirements
> > 3.      Dual Circuit brakes
> > 4.      Locking steering columns
> > 5.      Double locking hood (w/safety catch)
> > 6.      Seat Belts
> > 7.      Flashers
> > 8.      Collapsable steering columns
> > 9.      Different door latches (that didn't fly open when hit)
> > 10.     Locking seat backs (so they don't fly forward when you stop short
> > and     you go flying through the windshield - almost been there and done
> > that)
> > 11.     Padded dashes
> > 12.     Non-reflective materials in the interior (that's why the later early
> >         models didn't have Shiny chrome)
> > 13.     Brake warning lights inside to tell you your brakes aren't working!!
> > 14.     Tamper proof odometers!!!!!!
> > 15.     Vin No. plaque attached to the dash (see 4)
> > 16.     Reflectors
> > 17.     Side Marker lights
> > 18.     Non venting (to the air at least) gas tanks (Carbon filters)
> >
> > and others I can't remember

I'm not sure, concerning the roadster, but in '68 all us cars were required to
have steel
safety beams in the doors.

In addidtion to raising the height of the windshields, they were required to be
much stronger
so they would (in theory) act as a roll bar to keep those in the car from being
crushed in
a rollover.

Peace,
Pat

--
Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Hardware Guru
voice (512)471-9517, fax (512)471-8885, UUCP:cs.utexas.edu!horne