Oil Coolers (was re: moon)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil Coolers (was re: moon)
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 00 09:24:44 CST
Kim,

The OEM factory oil cooler (NLA - no longer available), mounted either
under the radiator (race tracks) or in front of the radiator (road cars).

I have one out in the Garage, and can check the size this weekend.

The one on eBay is NOT a factory oil cooler, but uses the FORD oil
filter adapter and an after market oil cooler. Main concern is that
you do not overcool the oil.

When I raced Mazda years back, I lost coolant and watched the oil temp
gauge peg up 280 F. Ouch! When I drained the COLD oil (Castrol 20W50)
it poured like water. Obviously broke down the additives. With the modern
synthetic oils they withstand the high temperatures, but still it is
not recommended to drive with oil cooling only.

A more modern technique is to use a water to oil intercooler. Once again
I have seen these as FORD items. This brings up the oil temperature a
little quicker, and helps maintain it. Typically you can decrease the
oil temp by 30 F degrees, while the water temp only increases by 2F.
Pretty slick solution. They are in the speed catalogs, Ford produced
and OEM unit that is easy to adapt to any vehicle.

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Austin, TX