Re: Oil Coolers (was re: moon)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil Coolers (was re: moon)
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 00 23:10:23 CST
> I used to run the factory oil cooler on my Z (made for Z) but when the hoses
> went away I could not find new hoses with the metric fittings.  I have the
> factory oil cooler for the roadster and plan to use it but will I have the
> same trouble finding replacement hoses???

Wayne,

If you still have the old hoses, but just want new hose I would check
out some tractor supply places. Some of the local places are used
to farmers & hydraulic hoses. They can just remove the crimp fitting,
remove the old hose, and install new hose and crimp fittings. Worth
looking into it.

I have made up my own hoses using Aeroquip fittings and lines. I am
pretty sure EARL'S SUPPLY is still around. Admitted it was pricey, and
took me a few times to figure out the correct way to assemble the hoses.
Then again once done correctly, the hose is good for 10+ years.

For some odd reason I am thinking the roadster might have SAE threaded
ends on the oil cooler, but I'd have to check that. Might be worth while
to just plumb fittings into the engine block (or a small adapter that bolts
to the block) and run a remote filter while you are adding the oil
cooler. You could easily mount the filter bottom side up, so it would not
drain back into the oil pan. You'd get pressure up sooner when you started
and use the larger common FORD (PH8 is a fram number, but use a decent
filter!) oil filter.

Cheers,

Tom Walter