The saga of SRL-00489 (long)

To: "'datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: The saga of SRL-00489 (long)
From: Andrew Murphy <andrew.murphy@integtech.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 18:01:44 -0800
Hello List,

I am sure you are expecting another post about the upcoming SoCalROC meet,
and I will mention it later in this post, but I thought I would let everyone
know about the progress of my car, SRL311-00489. To say it has been a
learning experience would be a gross understatement. I wouldn't have traded
it for anything, but it has taught me the meaning of patience, frustration,
and for the first time today, real joy and excitement.

Back in November, I sold my 67.5 1600 to a gentleman from Colorado. At that
time, I had decided to do some other investments. I really loved the car,
and the only complaint I ever had about it was a lack of performance (no
offense intended to any 1600 owners). I had wanted a 2000, and I had seen
along with everyone else in the world that 489 was for sale as listed on
Datsun.org. Problem was there was no contact info and Greg Vallaza didn't
have it. I was ready to give up the idea when the car magically appeared on
Classifieds 2000 with the contact info. The guy was less than six miles
away, so I called him up and went to see it.

Well, on first inspection, the car didn't look too good. Interior wasn't
bad, it was non-existent. Strangely enough, the seats were in good
condition. It was REALLY dirty and there was a dead bug in the temp gauge.
The engine would crank but would not start. No brakes. Soft top frame looked
OK but top was stiff as a board. Hard top looked OK, but no latches. Trunk
would not open. Wonder if Jimmy Hoffa was in there... No driver side window
glass. Trim pieces partial. Incorrect but very nice late rear bumper (Anyone
want to trade?)

But it was a numbers matching 67 2000, so I bought it. I had a flat bed tow
take it down to CDM for inspection. Dennis calls me and says I need to
replace entire brake system. Then Les gets on the horn and says I have got
some big problems with the rear end and could I come down Saturday to have a
look and talk about the car. Uh Oh.

So I come down and Les puts the car on a lift for me. Rather than tell you
verbatim what he said, I'll just list them.

Rear end out of a 66 (wanted higher gearing ratio?)
missing torque link
Missing some of the rear leaf springs ( guess he wanted to lower it...)
Exhaust pipe welded directly to header. Used 2.5 pipe that would not fit
through the frame, so it was run UNDER the frame!!!)
Starter shot
Shocks hosed
Some minor rust damage (hole in trunk)

So he gives me the list of parts, I hand over some dough and he goes to
town. Turns out the rotors were so thin, you could toss them around like
Frisbees, so I had to add those. Les makes a flange and mounts my ignition
switch so I don't have to be houdini to start the car. Calls me mid-week to
say car is running well and the engine is strong. He put the new rear end
in, did the brakes, shocks, springs, and exhaust, and puts on a chrome solex
air cleaner assembly to replace the horns that came on the car. Also put on
brand new powder coated rims and new tires. (Maybe I'll put those up on
ebay...) I am thinking that on January 22nd I'll be able to pick it up. Or
so I thought...

Dennis calls me on Thursday, January 20th to announce the tranny is hosed.
Car won't stay in gear. I guess if I wanted to hold on to the stick for the
rest of my life it would be okay, so Les says come on down and check it out.
So today I went down to CDM and after two months of owning this car, I
finally get to drive it.

First off, let me say this car is F-A-S-T. Was scratching the tires in third
gear. The acceleration was incredible. The gods were smiling at me on my
test drive because as I pulled up at a stop light, what should pull up along
side me but a Miata! We looked at each other, testosterone was exchanged,
and we went for it at the green light.
No contest. I dropped him like a hot potato. This car is bad to the bone.
When I get it restored, I think I'll take it up north and chase Michael
Carion around for a while...
However, back on earth I found the gears slipping out as soon as I took my
hand off of the stick. Forget that noise. When I got back to the shop, I
told Les to go ahead and pull it and rebuild it. I want it done right.

So I got my chance to drive the car. It is incredibly fun. Les said he will
have it done for me before the SoCalROC meet on February 6th. Speaking of
which, Les said he is coming to the meet and is bringing his RHD 240z. This
car is wicked looking. You need to come to the meet and check it out. I have
also heard a rumor that a mag might be there to do an article on roadsters.
Just a rumor, but bring some polish just in case...

I put some pics of my car as it is right now up on the web. It's not pretty,
but it will be. I plan to have it totally restored by the end of next
winter. So thanks for reading this novel and I will see you on the 6th!

Andrew Murphy
SRL311-00489
SoCalROC

http://www.netcom.com/~andr/srl489-1.jpg