Re: Road & Track Roadster Reviews

To: Datsun Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Road & Track Roadster Reviews
From: Gordon Glasgow <glasgow@serv.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 16:55:14 -0800
The regular road tests were reprinted in the Brooklands book "Datsun
Roadsters 1962-1971" (yes, I know there were no 1971 roadsters, but
apparently Brooklands hasn't figured it out).

I'm conservative when it comes to firing up an engine that hasn't been run
in 20 years. If it was mine, I'd just tear it down and rebuild it, but YMMV.
I'd at least drop the pan and inspect the bearings, plus pull the plugs and
check the cylinder walls. If gas was left in the carbs, it's no doubt turned
to varnish and will cause problems. Fill it with oil, use one of Tom
Walter's priming rods to get the oil circulated and then see if you can turn
it over by hand. Check to see that all the valves are moving properly. Do
the basic tuneup (points, plugs, etc.) and see what happens.

I suspect the bigger problem will be the brakes. All the seals are probably
toast by this time.

Don't forget to change the gear lube in the tranny and diff, too. 20 years
of condensation won't lubricate things very well.

--
Gordon Glasgow
http://www.gordon-glasgow.org