Re: double locking hood

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: double locking hood
From: Todd Osborn <trosborn@california.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 19:22:48 -0800
My 68 (single latch) hood used to pop up during high speed corning. I
suspect the body flexed enough to shake it loose.  I found the the
alignment of the plug (part on the hood) to the socket latch is
critical.  The plug mount on mine was bent (probably by the PO) so the
hood would close, however the plug did not enter the latch in a straight
line (common longitudinal axis).  I had to re-locate the latch assembly
to get a good alignment, the hood has not popped since and opens/closes
much better.

I don't think aero forces would cause the hood to open, the air pressure
above the back of the hood is high (lots of air backed up against that
vertical windscreen). The air under the hood should be comparatively low
since the flow has to thread its way through/around all those high drag
components (grill, radiator, fan, engine...).
Todd Osborn
2x68 2L
San Jose, CA