Re: Collision Avoidance

To: Roman Rist <ristguitars@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Collision Avoidance
From: Mark <captainhoek@postmark.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 08:32:06 -0500

Edgarhouse wrote:

> My I suggest to the list that we all do what is it takes to increase the
> safety of our cars.  My first addition to my car was a Collision Avoidance
> Light.  It is ugly I agree, but, It IS PROVEN TO WORK!
>
> Many times I have seen cars speeding down on me at a light and by hitting
> the brake pedal once or twice I change their approach speed.

Having been rear ended HARD 3 times I'm in full agreement with Ron.  I used to
think Southern California tailgaters were bad until I came to Houston.  And I
just spent 4 days in the Washington, D.C. area and found WORSE tailgaters.  I
have no trouble driving slowly to get them to go around.  I stay out of the
fast lane to do it, of course.  But whatever it takes, I'm not going to let
someone stay on my tail.  Hey, folks, a safe following distance is only TWO
SECONDS behind the vehicle in front of you.  Given that FACT, what possible
(good) reason can there be for tailgating?   (Well, other than on a race track,
of course.)  What, you got someplace to go where two seconds makes a
difference?

And those idiots that come flying up behind you when you're at a stop?  Nothing
you can do but be alert and tap those brake lights.  (Hey, that almost makes as
much sense as tailgating!  "I'm in a hurry, so I'm going to get to that red
light as soon as possible!")  One of my rear-enders was because of just such an
idiot.  OOPS.  No brakes.  So my 8 months pregnant wife came home to find a
message on our answering machine from the CHP, informing her that her husband
was in the hospital.  Not a good thing.

OT - I made time for the privilege of seeing the Vietnam Veterans Memorial
while in D.C.  That is a moving experience.  It was good to see parents require
their children to act respectfully while there, and carefully explaining the
significance of the names on the wall.

--

Mark van der Hoek

            "They that can give up essential