Re: new owner, many questions

To: "Ofarrell, Fergus" <Ofarrell.Fergus@hitco.com>
Subject: Re: new owner, many questions
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 16:27:00 -0500
> Greetings from a new roadster owner in Huntington Beach, CA.
> Having searched out all the info available and finally 'taken the plunge'
> and bought one, I can see why those that have been bitten are so enthused
> (maybe rabid is a better word) about them.
> Mine: '69 2000, not an original color, so NOT going to be a bone-stock
> restoration, more a maximum smiles for reasonable dollars project.
>
> a few initial questions:
>
> 1. my temp gauge barely gets past 120-140, even while sitting in traffic. Is
> this believable?  I can put my hand directly on top of the valve cover when
> it's completely warmed up, so it's running fairly cool, but is 120-150
> degrees max believable?
Temp gauges on roadsters are known to not be too accurate, but it does sound as
if yours in running too cool.  Is there a thermostat installed?  IF so, track
down someone that has an IR thermometer and get a temperature reading on the
thermostat housing, that will tell for sure.

> 2. any way to replace engine mounts without complete engine/trans removal?
Yes, you don't have to pull the engine.  As I recall the mounts are bolted
between
sheet metal parts, one bolted to the frame and one bolted to the engine.  On
my 1600 I just removed the whole mess, replaced the mount and put it back.  Not
a big deal.

> 3. any suggestions for well-suited seat replacements/ swap outs? I'm pretty
> tall and the present lo-back ones are pretty ragged, and I've seen some
> pictures of others who seem to have switched.
A lot of folks use Miata seats, especially in the high windshield cars, such as
yours.

> 4. Where to go for a new rollbar? (lap-only belts have girlfriend terrified)
There are a number of vendors on this list that will be happy to sell you one.

<snip>

> Fergus O'Farrell
Hmmm, Irish perhaps?

Peace,
Pat

--
Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Hardware Guru
voice (512)471-9517, fax (512)471-8885, UUCP:cs.utexas.edu!horne