Request for cross-country driving advice -- from my son!

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Request for cross-country driving advice -- from my son!
From: Teddy Seidenfeld <teddy@stat.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 18:53:00 -0400
Precautionary note: I must admit, I am not a roadster driver, in fact it
gets worse. . . I drive a 1985 Alfa Romeo Spider.  However, I feel
justified in writing this list since I bought my father a '69 2000 several
years ago for his 50th b-day, saving it from becoming just another rusted
parts car.  In addition, I have been following the discussions on the
list-serve for a while b/c my father (who some of you may know - Teddy
Seidenfeld) feels my college education wouldn't be complete without knowing
how to fix a Roadster and thus he forwards multiple messages a day to me.

With that out of the way. . . I am graduating college in May and afterwards
plan on driving cross country out to California (I go to Cornell Univ. in
warm, sunny, up-state NY - it's even snowing now!). I'm planning on taking
between 3 to 4 weeks for the trip and can leave any time after graduation.
The only stops I must see are the Grand Canyon, Yellow Stone Park, and Las
Vegas.  Otherwise I'm open for anything.  Also, I'm taking my Alfa and
would like to stay off loud, unattractive inter-state highways. Finally, I
just finished the huge expense of school and would like to keep things cheap!

So, I know lots of you Roadsterites have driven cross country, and some of
you even in little sports cars. What suggestions do you have as to:
        places to go
        roads to take
        tips for dealing with midwest police
        or any other stories/info worth sharing?
You can send personal e-mail to me at dss14@cornell.edu or just post them
b/c I'm sure my father will forward them on with the rest.

Thanks,
David Seidenfeld
< a different 2L ! >