electrical adventures/ shiftknobs

To: datsun roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: electrical adventures/ shiftknobs
From: Roman Rist <ristguitars@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 23:29:22 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Folks,

May seem silly, but I got all my gauges working on my 66 (still have to
hook up my speedo)

Big problem with my instrument voltage relay for a while. I know they
are available and cheap, But I took mine apart and fixed it. here's
what I did.
took off the case, cleaned the contacts then soldered the connections
that go to the terminals. the stock connections inside are riveted
through a printed circuit board to the terminals on the ouside of the
unit. poor design as i could move them around. the solder fixed that!
Also on the back of the unit there is an electrical trace on the pc
board. soldered a hard wire to that too. Last but most important, there
is a wite wire inside that is grounded to the case by only a little
metal clip. poor design again. This too I soldered to the case.
I put it all Back together screwed it back on tight hooked up the wires
and for the first time the W/temp and fuel gauge work every day .

I havn't been on the list too much lately because I've been doing more
important things. Working On My Car !!

Been doing body work hoping to have paint for Solvang (That wont
Happen)

Today I Did my rear fender flares In metal ! I had a set of trashed 66
front fenders, cut out the flares shaped them so they would fit on the
back and started cutting and fitting  they look good! and now I can use
my mags on this car.

Also I have been making Rosewood shift handles and emergency brake
handles.  I make stock style and T handle shifters (my favorite)

the T handle threads right on and feels good in your hand. there's
nothing to me like coming hard out of 1st gear and pulling on the T
handle into second. Also the shift height is reduced by about 2 inches.

I made for myself a set out of mahogany but started making them out of
rosewood to compliment CDM's Rosewood dashes.

The sets are expensive but beautiful ( a lot of hand work goes in to
these )

I build guitars for a living so have acess to all kinds of exotic
woods, so any kind of wood can be used .
They are a special order item and can be made in different woods, and
sizes to fit the hand.

They are available through myself or CDM for $100 per set plus
shipping.

Hope to meet some of you on the list at Solvang.

Roman Rist
SoCalROC
66spl (still unpainted)
67.5spl (still in shop)