Re: will a '70 2000 front suspension fit in a 67.5 1600?

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: will a '70 2000 front suspension fit in a 67.5 1600?
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 00 08:00:31 CDT
>  will a '70 2000 front suspension fit in a 67.5 1600?
>
>  I have a chance to get all the parts needed for the front
>  suspension at a great price, but don't know if they'll fit.

Mark,

Everything is the same, except the steering boxes.

The '70 will have a different steering shaft, and
larger diameter input to the steering box. Actually
with the collapsible safety column, and improved
steering box, it would be worth while to swap that
into the 67.5 roadster.

My very early '68 2000 has a later steering box. Most
likely replaced after an accident in it's previous life.
It came with all new front end sheet metal, too. ;-)

Since the early cars used a one piece steering shaft,
and later cars had a two piece shaft, I am not 100%
sure if that swap is "bolt in" or "some modification
needed".

One of the worlds worst "PO" modifications I remember
seeing was a steering shaft that had been ground down
to fit the earlier, smaller, steering knuckle. Ross
Mullen had it displayed as a "what not to do" item
at his shop.

The rest of the front end will bolt on nicely!

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Austin, TX