Re: smog plug?

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, bilis@napanet.net (Eric Jackson)
Subject: Re: smog plug?
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 11:21:46 -0700
Hi Eric,

You'll get a lot of tips on this. Just be aware that if you simply cap or
plug the smog ports you may get the "bird chirp" effect! You want the plug
to go down the hole as far as possible to get rid of this coke bottle
whistle.

Rally sells some brass water plugs for about $10 a set (of 10). You stick two
into each port, and the other two go into the manifold. This eliminates some of
the chirping but not all because a narrow pipe will still be under the bottom
plug.

I made my own. Basically what you need to do is to create a nipple at the end of
a plug that will extend all the way down into the hole. I did this when
rebuilding the cylinder head. That made it easy to cut the plugs flush with the
inside of the intake ports.

There's no harm in the "bird chirp" effect other than the psychological harm in
sounding like you're driving a VW beetle!

Fred - So.SF