MIG Welder advice wanted

To: mc-chassis-design@list.sirius.com, ff@bikeweb.com,
Subject: MIG Welder advice wanted
From: Dan Neuman <dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 12:07:11 -0700
Hello All,
        After doing some reading on the subject it seems like a MIG welder
is just the thing I need. To re-cap, in case I am wrong,  I want something that
can be used to weld up sheet metal on my datsun roadster. I also want
something that I can use to weld up mild steel tubing and aluminum, which
the m.c. frame I am hoping to build will be constructed from.
        From my reading I think that I want to go with the actual gas and
not flux-cored wire.  Can you all reccomend different welding units to me??
There seem to be a large amount of manufacturers out there. I know I want
something that runs on standard 120V's.  How much power do I need??  They
all seem to be rated like, 'welds up to 1/4 inch in one pass'.  What features
should I look for/stay away from??
        I will probably try to buy a used unit if I can find a good one locally.

        Any info would be greatly appreciated.
        Thanks,
                Daniel Neuman
                SF CA USA