Re: MIG Welder advice wanted

To: "Dan Neuman" <dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu>,
Subject: Re: MIG Welder advice wanted
From: Ronnie Day <rday@bigtex.ci.dallas.tx.us>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 16:33:25 -0500
>       After doing some reading on the subject it seems like a MIG welder
>is just the thing I need. To re-cap, in case I am wrong,  I want something
>that
>can be used to weld up sheet metal on my datsun roadster. I also want
>something that I can use to weld up mild steel tubing and aluminum, which
>the m.c. frame I am hoping to build will be constructed from.
>       From my reading I think that I want to go with the actual gas and
>not flux-cored wire.  Can you all reccomend different welding units to me??
>There seem to be a large amount of manufacturers out there. I know I want
>something that runs on standard 120V's.  How much power do I need??  They
>all seem to be rated like, 'welds up to 1/4 inch in one pass'.  What features
>should I look for/stay away from??
>       I will probably try to buy a used unit if I can find a good one locally.

Dan,

I've been doing some similar research lately and I was told that both
Miller and Hobart have 120 volt A/C (I think) MIG/gas units in the $600
(or a little less) range that will handle the tasks you described. The
same company owns both and the Hobart may be as much as $100 (or more)
cheaper. IF these units do operate on 12o volts, they'll certainly draw
right at 20 amps so make sure you have a 20 amp circuit available where
you'd want to use the rig.

I'll probably wind up with a straight gas rig soon and get one of these
"small" MIG/Gas setups this summer. I'd love a bigger TIG setup, but you
talking high teens price wise and probably 50 amp 220 volt power. Tom
Walter can probably address things more knowledgeably at that level.

Good luck finding something used. It might be worth looking at the estate
sale notices in the newspapers. I know that you can sometimes find
bargains in wood working equipnment. Know what the new prices are so
you'll really know if you're getting a "good" price used.

Bottom line, we can share what we wind up with and it may help wsomeone
else down the road.

HTH, Ron

Ronnie Day
ronday@home.com
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared class autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)