way off topic -- roadster prices

To: "datsun-roadsters@autox.Team.Net" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: way off topic -- roadster prices
From: "jerry gallagher" <jdg1@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 21:38:15 -0700
Interesting reading on the $25,000 roadster and associated posts.

Just a few personal observations:  I have my roadster because it makes me
happy -- I like to drive it on sunny days and to have people ask we what it
is. I like to be told Datsun never made a convertible.  I like to pass
Miatas.  I derive personal pleasure from driving a car I put together.
Working on my cars is therapy from a hectic job.  I put my roadster together
when working full time and attending graduate school at night -- it helped
me retain my sanity.  Working on it seems to make so much more sense than
the edicts from my company's management.

To me the resale price is irrelevant  -- its just too much like seeking
external validation for the decision to have the roadster.  I really don't
care what other people think about me owning a roadster.   What percentage
of the cost I recover from selling the roadster is probably highly dependant
on the buyer and is like the lottery.  Sometimes you win  -- sometimes you
don't.  Has anyone read the book "Tuesdays with Morrie"?  Interesting
discussion on the ability of material goods to make us happy.

On another topic, I am in the process of having my Alfa painted.  The owner
of the body shop in building a car for his wife.  It is a small car with a
big engine -- yes an engine swap.  If someone has space to store some
pictures perhaps we could check out how knowledgeable our group is of other
types of small cars by seeing how long it takes to identify what type of car
is being modified.

As always please excuse the ramblings.

Jerry