Re: JUST SAY YES! to the $25,000 roadster, please!

To: Teddy Seidenfeld <teddy@stat.cmu.edu>
Subject: Re: JUST SAY YES! to the $25,000 roadster, please!
From: Jim Tyler <toplessdatsun@ga.prestige.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 09:45:36 -0400
We batted this topic around over a year ago (all this stuff comes around
again on this list) and there is no end to the debate.

>From my perspective the worth of these cars has already gone up
significantly over the last several years.  The articles help and good cars
are getting hard to find.

The last one I sold was a custom body off 66 restoration that
ended up with about 17K in it. It was paid for before it left the garage.

I'm in the middle of two others (one for my brother so that doesn't count)
which will be somewhere between 12-18.5k.  These cars a done in the CDM
style, body off, striped bare, 3K in paint, new parts everywhere.

Fact is for about 6-8k you can get a previously restored car with miles
on it that will be a nice clean driver, but it won't be like the cars
above, or CDM's, period, end of story.

You want one like those, you put down the money.   Why would I sell it for less,
they don't grow on trees?

Many of us are attached emotionally to the cars, that clearly has worth.
I know many people who wouldn't sell there roadster (older restorations
with miles) for 12 or 15k.  It would take more than that to pry them loose.
That means the value is there.

If the perception is that these are rare collectibles, that is what they
will be.  If the perception is they are worthless that holds to.

Keep promoting them,  Keep driving them and having fun with them.
Just cause KBB hasn't figured it out doesn't bother me anymore.

Jim Tyler