Solex's (New -vs- Old)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Solex's (New -vs- Old)
From: CalSpeed@aol.com
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 14:36:01 EDT
Hello,

I bought a set of Solex's from an old auto repair shop here in SF.  They
fixed old Japanese cars and had some old parts laying around.  Anyway, I was
able to buy a set of Roadster Solex's and manifold that he had in a box with
some other carb parts.

I was wondering if the Solex guru's of the list would be able to help me
determine what the differences are between the early and later Solex's.  So
here is what I have...

On the "old" Solex's the reference numbers are as follows:
On top of the carbs the words are, "Solex, Mikuni Kogyo"
Underneath the cover the jets read, "60 - 250 - 250 -60"
Underneath the floats the jet reads, "160"
On top of the Barrel it says, "Solex N PHH-2"
Inside the barrell near the butterfly I saw a number, "37"
On the butterflys the number reads, "175"

Okay, here are some questions.

1. Do I have appropriate jets for daily driving and occassional track work?
2. Will my jets from the newer Solex's fit on this set of carbs?
3. I dont see the size of the carbs anywhere.  Any idea what they are?
4. Should I connect two sets of choke springs or just use one?
5. Manifold.  Can I use the same manifold that I currently run with?

He told me that these Solex's were designed to run alittle richer at top end
which gave alittle more power up top.  True...?

Michael "Calspeed" Carion
67.5 SRL311-000248 Solex
Original Sora Blue w/ unoriginal interior.