Welders gas vs mig and Tubing notchers

To: mc-chassis-design@list.sirius.com, ff@bikeweb.com,
Subject: Welders gas vs mig and Tubing notchers
From: Dan Neuman <dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 12:45:42 -0700
Hello All,

        Well it seems like there is a large discrepancy in ideas about which
is the best way to weld mild steel tubing, sheetmetal on my roadster, and
possibly aluminum.
I have been looking at gas welding setups and Harrison Calorific sells this gas
welding setup that for
a beginner seems pretty attractive.  They call it the port-a-torch, it comes
with two bottles in a plastic carrying case, goggles, gloves a couple of
different
welding and cutting tips everyting you would need except the gas.  Is something
like this actually usefull??  The bottles are not taller than my knee.  Can I
actually
use this to do serious-if infrequent welding?? That and the hole thing cost
~300 bucks
        I am looking to buy a tubing notcher.  There seem to be a lot out there
and
a large spread in prices.  It seems like the nothcers that can handle angles
greater than
45 deg are a bit more expensive. Does anyone have any advice on nothcers for me?
        I have tought on all the comments on MIG welders.. Unfortunately the
house where
I live does not have a 220V outlet and I do not think that it could handle it
anyways.  Craftsman
makes an attractive 110v model(on paper anyways).  Now, are they junk where you
can not find
replacment parts for??  I do not think that I can afford the top of the line
110V welders so I
am looking for a good middle of the line model.
        Several of you posted that you were interested in selling your 110V Mig
welders can
you please reply to me off list dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu.
        My plan right now is, to hopefully get a reasonable price on a used mig
and buy the
port-a-torch.  That way I will have both forms of welding for a reasonable
amount of money...
It does seem that I will need both forms of welding??
remember I'm a grad student and not a dot.com millonare.
                Thanks,

                Daniel
                SF CA