Re: Welders gas vs mig and Tubing notchers

To: Dan Neuman <dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu>
Subject: Re: Welders gas vs mig and Tubing notchers
From: Guy <gppepoy@cybertrails.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 19:01:12 -0700
Dan Neuman wrote:

> Hello All,
>
>         Well it seems like there is a large discrepancy in ideas about which
> is the best way to weld mild steel tubing, sheetmetal on my roadster, and
>possibly aluminum.
> I have been looking at gas welding setups and Harrison Calorific sells this
>gas welding setup that for
> a beginner seems pretty attractive.  They call it the port-a-torch, it comes
> with two bottles in a plastic carrying case, goggles, gloves a couple of
>different
> welding and cutting tips everyting you would need except the gas.  Is
>something
> like this actually usefull??  The bottles are not taller than my knee.  Can I
>actually
> use this to do serious-if infrequent welding?? That and the hole thing cost
>~300 bucks
>         I am looking to buy a tubing notcher.  There seem to be a lot out
>there and
> a large spread in prices.  It seems like the nothcers that can handle angles
>greater than
> 45 deg are a bit more expensive. Does anyone have any advice on nothcers for
>me?
>         I have tought on all the comments on MIG welders.. Unfortunately the
>house where
> I live does not have a 220V outlet and I do not think that it could handle it
>anyways.  Craftsman
> makes an attractive 110v model(on paper anyways).  Now, are they junk where
>you can not find
> replacment parts for??  I do not think that I can afford the top of the line
>110V welders so I
> am looking for a good middle of the line model.
>         Several of you posted that you were interested in selling your 110V
>Mig welders can
> you please reply to me off list dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu.
>         My plan right now is, to hopefully get a reasonable price on a used
>mig and buy the
> port-a-torch.  That way I will have both forms of welding for a reasonable
>amount of money...
> It does seem that I will need both forms of welding??
> remember I'm a grad student and not a dot.com millonare.
>                 Thanks,
>
>                 Daniel
>                 SF CA

Hi Daniel,
I have been shopping around for a mig set-up.  Just went to a quality
welding supply store in  this area and they offer a nice 110 volt mig
welder with cart, all the goodies and a gas refill for about $900.  It's
a Miller and they also sell similar Lincoln setups.  I like the Miller
and am working a way to finagle one through my business ("we need to
weld something here don't we?"). With tools, it has always been my
experience to try to get the best quality you can possibly afford. You
won't regret it. I have, indeed, regreted my cheapo specials.  On gas, I
love my sears oxyacetelyne set-up.  Bought it many years ago and is is
like new.  Get the largest bottles you can.  My neighbor has a small rig
up like you describe and he is constantly running out of air.  A good
used set-up can be a great bargain for both parties.  Stick to a name
brand.

My 2 centavos.

Guy
Tempe, AZ