GM one wire alternator

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: GM one wire alternator
From: Chris.Brucciani@ercgroup.com
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 07:20:00 -0500
It never fails.  I am planning to go to Road Atlanta this weekend to watch
the Walter Mitty (supposed to be near 80 degrees) where Tim Studdard has
agreed to take a few pictures of my car, maybe he could use the, maybe not.
Well, thanks to all of the responses I checked my alternator as best I
could, and it seems fried.  I am still not positive, as I took it to two
shops (Pep Boys and Autozone) and neither one could cross reference it, so
they couldn't/wouldn't hook it to the machine.

Lot's has been written about the one wire conversion, and I think I get it,
but am hesitant when putting in things that can cook your car.  Some
questions

1)  Does anyone have a part number for a 60 amp or less GM alternator
purchased from Pep Boys, Autozone or NAPA?  Has anyone had sucess in getting
any of these stores to bench test the alternator?   I've got 4 wires coming
out of my alternator, three yellow and one black.  Only three tie in to the
wiring harness (one dummy). Anything I can tell these guys that would help
the figure out which connector might work on their test equiptment?

2)  What exactly do I do with the three wires in the small harness to the
starter?  Do I put a fusible link between all three as well as the hot wire?
Should I still run a wire direct to the + on the battery?

3)  Will my ammeter still work?

4)  Do fusible links come in different amp measurements?  I do not have any
excessive draw on my system.  As a matter of fact my 30 amp alternator did
fine.

5)  Do I need a new voltage regulator, if so which?

6)  Does anyone have a copy of the article Tom Phelan wrote up for ZCCD?

7)  How do I search the archives again?

8)  That seven blade fan sure does get in the way!

9)  Apologies to Tom Walter who has answered these questions a zillion times
(I've got one here from Jan 30).

Sorry for the rambling, but I really hope to get the baby cruiser going.
Also gotta do a carb tune-up, but 1st things 1st.  As always, thanks for the
help.