Re: Changing Brake Fluid

To: ikes@postalzone.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Changing Brake Fluid
From: BERKEN@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 08:47:55 EDT
In a message dated 04/27/2000 10:25:16 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
ikes@postalzone.com writes:

<< Hello fellow roadster owners, I have a '67 1600 but haven't changed
 brake fluids since new brakes were installed 4 years ago.  Barely drive
 the car 500 miles a year.  How often should the brakes be bled and fluid
 replaced?  Thanks, Steve

Steve,

Ideally, every year. I don't know if anyone does it that often or not, but
the reason you do it isn't because it wears out, but that it absorbs water
and since water boils at a MUCH lower temp than brake fluid you could have a
sudden loss of brakes once the brakes are hot, say coming down a long hill.
I have heard of two people being killed from that cause.  You might also
notice the fluid being black. If so, that is from the rubber in the hoses
deteriorating. If you haven't replaced those, it will make a big difference
in pedal feel. There are three; one at each front wheel and one from the
frame to the rear axle.
I use Castrol GT/LMA (DOT4) fluid, and it seems to be one of the more popular
choices in the roadster group.
Joseph Berkenbile