Safety!

To: "datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Safety!
From: Steve Harvey <stevenh@execpc.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 06:13:44 -0600
Hello all,
I've been reading the wedding ring welding thread and thought of all of
the terrible things I've seen working around Navy aircraft over the
years. Mostly stupid mistakes that killed people. Safety has always been
high on my list, even when working on cars in my garage.

I got a call at work on Friday from my wife saying that my new
son-in-law had an accident at work and that he was at the hospital.
Turns out that he was climbing a ladder up 15 ft to the top of a
vertical machining center that he was installing for a customer. He got
almost to the top and the bottom of the ladder slips out and away from
the machine. He falls the 12 to 15 ft. down to the concrete floor.
Dislocates both shoulders and breaks the left shoulder. He also chipped
the right shoulder which means to me, he broke both shoulders! Out of
work now for 3 months. One of the worst parts is that he removed the
steps to the basement in his newly purchased house because they where
ready to fall apart. Hence, he's laid up for 3 months and has no steps!
I guess I'll be installing steps in the near future.

I called my son to inform him about the accident and he tells me that he
just fell off of his roof moments before my call. He was trying to
remove the 2 feet of snow we all have on our roofs here in Milwaukee.
Thankfully, he landed in a big snow bank and wasn't injured. Also, his 5
month pregnant wife slipped in the driveway and landed on the back of
her head last night. She has a bump but seems all right as well. Man,
what's going on here?

Let's all think before we act and we'll make it through the year safe
and happy.

Steve Harvey
68 2000 solex
70 1600