Compression Ratio Question

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Compression Ratio Question
From: bob_wilson@agilent.com
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 09:13:16 -0700
Hi list, I am rebuilding my 1600 engine into a stroker.  I have u20 rods and
flat (not domed) pistons.  Also have a new crankshaft with the u20 longer
throw.  My question has to do with getting the compression ratio to a good
place.  I measured the volume of the head and then calculated the volume of
the cylinder bore, both in the up and down positon of the piston.  I
included the volume of the head gasked space.  I did this all very carefully
and believe it to be within 10% or so.  After all of this, I conclude that
the compression ratio is 9.2.  I would like this motor to run well on
regular gas.  We can get 87, 89 and 92 octane here in the bay area of
California.  The smog pump is gone and the holes filled where the air was
pumped into the head.  My distributor is the 7.5 non-smog version.  Do you
know if 9.2 is ok for the gas we have.  I wondered if I should increase the
head gasket thickness (make a new one from copper?) to lower the CR to
closer to 8.5 or so?

I will put on new Mikuni Solex 40mm carbs when the engine gets back
together. Does anyone have experience with such a setup?  ...or just
experience with various compression ratios and how well the engine runs on
our low octane gas.

I want this car to run well, not race.

Thanks for any inputs.

Bob Wilson   '70 1600 s/n 28383