Exhaust Manifold

To: road <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Exhaust Manifold
From: "Thomas Walter" <ra0618@email.sps.mot.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 08:12:53 -0600
I'm still lurking in digest mode...

On the Exhaust Headers:

There SHOULD BE a support bracket at the bottom of the
stock exhaust manifold. Many times they are removed during
a clutch replacement, or what ever. If the original bracket is
in place it will keep the OEM exhaust manifold from vibrating,
which keeps it from cracking.

In the last 10 years or so, I have only seen one car with the
bracket still in place. Over 100,000 miles and the header had
no cracks.

Exhaust Paint: On the '67 2000 I cleaned up the after market
header and "painted it" with aluminum based antisieze. Never
started the engine, so hopefully the new owner will post back
on how that worked. Horrible mess, but I have seen a couple
of other vehicles with the "aluminized headers" that turned out
well.

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Austin, TX

P.S. Fog lights: For Fog (Central California has lots), white -
sharp cut off is the best. For SNOW I liked the yellow lens
as I could see the "bumps and ruts" in the snow better. Lens
need to be mounted low (not a problem on a roadster!), but
I did smash quite a few. Hmm, I still have a "stock" of Cibie
35 yellow fog lenses some place. ;-)