RE: Custom door handles

To: "'Roman Rist'" <ristguitars@yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: Custom door handles
From: "Hall, Phillip" <Phillip.Hall@msfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 16:54:53 -0600
Hey Roman - Yep they are aluminum.  I am lucky to have a machine shop at my
disposal.  At lunch I go back and fool with stuff like these handles.

Below is a description I wrote for Mike.  I have gotten a few inquires so I
will also post to the list.  Hey list!  I may go turbo 1600 for the engine.
I have a lot of 1600 stuff.

The base will be a 67.5 1600.  I picked up Rusty from Illinois and will get
another for a good frame and better body.  It will be black on red like my
long gone '68 (first car- I loved that Roadster).

Exterior - I am made aluminum door handles - more retro looking.  The tail
lights will also be aluminum - close to the original design.  I like the
polished aluminum look against black, so the trim will also be aluminum.  I
will most likely make the bumpers out of 2 inch wide aluminum flat stock.
The front may be split - al-la Gordan.  The head light rings stock, and the
grill stock if I can find a good one - or you guessed it, aluminum.  I will
also run the Fairlady badges.  The side window and wing windows will be
removed and the door capped with stainless or aluminum. I like Mark's idea.
Use stainless and have DATSUN ROADSTER bead blasted in.  Paint will be black
with two charcoal strips front to back.  No top (I don't use the top on the
'66 anyway).

Interior - The flat dash will get autometer or smith gages and be painted
black with aluminum accent.  The center console will be custom made out of
AL to accommodate a CD player.  I will not have a heater, so those controls
will be left off.  The door panels will be red with AL accent as will the
back panels.  I will use red covered racing buckets and have a roll bar
(design undecided).

Engine - mostly undecided.  I like the Olds 215 aluminum V8 - within a few
pounds of a 2L motor.  Small ford would be good, but worried about weight
and I don't want to cut the car too much.  I agree with Thomas and think the
Roadster can handle 400 pounds without effecting handling too much.  The
1600 is about 340 pounds and 2L about 350.  I would ideally like to get 200
HP, but will settle for 170ish if a four is used.

Wheels/suspension - I will use comp springs and may flare the rear to handle
15X7 wheel and big tires.  I like the open 5 spoke wheel design for this
project.  I also like the wire spoke design - can get these from Prime for
117.00 each.

That is about it - always open for suggestions.  I will use mostly
aftermarket parts and build many parts.  Not that I don't like Datsun stuff,
but I want to keep costs down and be a little different.

Phil