re:(ot) firestone tires & some roadster content (long)

To: "Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: re:(ot) firestone tires & some roadster content (long)
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 15:29:37 -0600
>i just
>question the fact that a tread separation can cause a vehicle to flip
>if that vehicle is operated with some level of competance--i.e. the
>driver doesn't panic, turn the wheel and slam on the brakes when a
>tire fails.

IMO, the accidents most often occur because too many (most?) drivers do
everything else under the sun while they're driving and aren't paying
more than minimum  attention to that task. To them driving is an
ancillary activity that they just happen to be engaged in while talking
on the phone, playing with their computer (don't laugh, I've seen it),
messing with the kids, eating and drinking. Add your own pet peeves to
this list.

Too few drivers treat driving on public roads as the dynamic, potentially
dangerous, activity it really is and give it their primary, much less the
full attention it deserves. I would say that most of the folks that
frequent this list and others like it are probably exceptions to this
general case.

Having said that, there's still no excuse for large companies like Ford,
Firestone, or any other deciding not to recall vehicles or components
because they think it'll be cheaper to individually pay off people that
are injured and sue them. Didn't Gene Hackman star in a movie about this
very thing 10 or 15 years ago?

Rant mode off,
Ron

Ronnie Day
ronday@home.com
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared Class Autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)