Re: muffler vibration

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: muffler vibration
From: "Victor Laury" <vlaury@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 10:48:04 -0800
>Stephen Smith wrote - I'm pretty sure it's the exhaust system, but it's
really hard to run along side the car and look underneath when driving :).
I've been under the car and everything seems very tight.  Does anyone know:
a: what the problem is and, b. how to eliminate it?  70 2000

Steven,

Your exhaust system is secured in four places, forward the first penetration
of the x  frame member; rearward of the second penetration and just for and
aft of the resonator. All mounts use the same isolator, which is two plates
with a 5/16 SAE fine tread bolt, glued back-to-back on a block of rubber.
There are six of these isolators. At the x member penetrations, the exhaust
pipe is clamped with two straps of metal witch is secured to the frame by an
isolator on each end. These Isolators fail often. the rubber gets old and
this is compounded by the fact that our engines torque in their mounts so
much and lifts on the exhaust pipe. When you inspect the front mounts, they
will look fine because they sit on the frame instead of hang from the frame.
push up on the pipe and the bad isolator will show them selves.

Replacing these is an easy yet weary chore that you will lose some skin
performing.  All you need is the drivers side up on stands and couple of
1/2'' wrenches and 1/2 to 1 hour. You should find small aluminum heat
shields  facing the exhaust pipe, shielding the rubber of the isolator. if
they are missing, make the your self from thin alum sheet or order them with
your isolators, 20613-12200 INSULATOR. Part # 20220-25500 MOUNT RUBBER, is
still available from Nissan and all of our Vendors for about $5 to $8 each.
Buy extra ones you will need them. I have bought no less than eight from Jim
Tyler over the last three years and I need two more! When this part becomes
NLA, I have it on good authority that Jeep Cherokee's of the "90's" use an
identical part.

Further good news for the elimination of future exhaust rattles and squeaks
is that our vendors are now selling flexible exhaust sections with their
header sets. This will remove engine stresses from the exhaust system making
these mounts last a lot longer!

Victor
70 SRL 31113136
Los Angeles