Re: Engine room picture wanted!

To: "The Belgian Roadster" <chriss@euregio.net>,
Subject: Re: Engine room picture wanted!
From: Alex Avery <aavery@rica.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 10:28:08 -0500
Yes on the color.  That yellow-golden effect comes from the Zinc plating
done on relay covers, brake lines, etc.  Zinc plating protects from rust
because the zinc acts as a "sacrificial anode"--meaning that the zinc
molecules will oxidize preferentially before the steel begins to rust.
(steel boats in salt water will nearly always have a big zinc bar attached
to the hull for the same reason--and you can even do this on your roadster.
It protects steel from a distance--ions and stuff, electro-chemical
reactions, yada yada)  As the zinc turns into relatively soft zinc oxide,
it rubs and washes off, slowly dissappearing.  You can always have such
parts re-plated in zinc, however there is also a kit sold to mimic the
zinc-plated look without sending the parts off to be replated.  The kit
(sold in the Sears autoshop catalogue, among others) appears to be several
different cans of spray paint--you paint a base color coat and then follow
with a couple of slightly different colors to mimic the slight color
variations in zinc plating.  Then a clear coat, I think.

Anyway, look around because there are products specifically designed to
restore that new look to such parts.
Alex