Re: Heater resistor (was: one more thing II)

To: John F Sandhoff <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Subject: Re: Heater resistor (was: one more thing II)
From: The Dread Pirate Roberts <svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 11:30:30 -0800
I guess that it's a convenient way to regulate the speed on a motor, but it
seems awfully
wasteful to just burn off electrons as heat (so to speak) in a resistor. Ever
since an
electrician explained to me that that was the way the speed was regulated on
the ceiling
fans in my house, I've stopped using them.

Gary McCormick
San Jose, CA